29 July 2005

Danelia and Monty Python?!



Three months out of grad school - I must be dumbing down at accelerated rates: I've been unable to force myself to study for anything substantial, though, I *have* been busy with other things. A good lesson of what not to do on a vacation. To be fair, however, I have gone through a third of my German textbook and read a couple of modern classics for *gasp* fun.

I've also been watching quite a few Russian classic films (yes, I said FILMS) - old and new, including the recent and highly acclaimed The Tuner. Even though the largely black and white surrealist (Lynch-rips-off-Arbus twins, for example) articism is to be appreciated both visually and theatrically (the scene with the ever-so-Germanesque Lina climing down the spiral staircase in her shiny black heels and a vintage skirt alone was worth it!), the 2.5+ hours of footage was redundant.

As I was watching the amazingly pants-pissing-hilarious Kindza-dza for the first time (I'm no movie buff), I discovered the eerie resemblance between John Cleese in the Monty Python's Holy Grail and Yuri Yakovlev, which even included costumes.





GAH!!! Georgy Danelia conspiracy theories?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://video.google.com/videopreviewbig?q=The+Simpsons+playable%3Atrue&time=0&page=1&docid=6814440987858142306&urlcreated=1123267210&chan=Uploaded&prog=The+Simpsons+%7C+Soviet+Union&date=Fri+Apr+15+2005+at+3%3A38+AM+PDT